Tuesday 10 February 2009

Grigor Dimitrov def Thomas Berdych 3-6 6-4 6-3 R1 ABN AMRO Rotterdam - Star in the Making??





Although most would agree that Thomas Berdych is suffering a massive crisis of confidence, I didn't really expect this 17 year old Bulgarian to trouble the burly but talented Czech. But after losing the first set, he stormed back to win 4-6 6-3 6-4 in what I imagine to be in hugely impressive fashion. I say imagine, because I didn't actually see the match. Berdych could have handed it on a plate.

But I don't think he did - the stats might tell the story. Berdych failed to convert 9 of 10 break points which indicates that he was either being painfully wasteful, or Dimitrov has the mental game to resist continual pressure on serve. Probably a combination of the two. Yet I can't think of many players who can save 9 of 10 break points (Rafa who?), no matter badly the other person is playing. Besides, Dimitrov smashed down 10 aces, I'm pretty sure a few of those came on break point.

The fuss over Dimitrov only really gathered pace after he won Wimbledon boys in July last year. Since then he has dabbled on the Challenger tour, rather unsuccessfully I might add, and before that, fell at the first round of qualifying for the Madrid Masters to Florent Serra. A big ask. No doubt the fuss will now escalate. A thread on MensTennisForums is already approaching 50 comments as I speak.

But the hype is immaterial, talent alone is never enough. Just look at Young and Tipsarevic. With Dimitrov I can't help but be I'm impressed by his steely resolve, his fighting spirit at one set down, and his ability to serve out the match after Berdych had just come through one hell of a sketchy service game. Maybe it's a one off. He might struggle to motivate himself for the lower ranking events, but somehow I don't think so. At 478 in the world, he will definitely have to work hard in Future and Challenger events, but don't be surprised to see this ranking reach the 200 mark come the end of the year. Expect too see him at Wimbledon too where he has earned a wilcard for his fruitful expoits last year!

It's definitely worth keeping an eye on this fella. I'm sure the ladies will be! ;-)





No comments:

Post a Comment